Kirstie Anders

Kirstie Anders
editing and proofreading service

Sunday 31 May 2015

Are you’s, Ewes?

You’s comin’ up for tea? There are a few phrases and words that drive me mad. In fact, they do more than get on my nerves. It’s like ‘hearing’ rage. I hear it and I want to punch someone, generally the culprit because it would be unfair to hit anyone else. I’m sure I would get away with justifiable homicide if I worked someone over enough about it. But using 'you's' or 'youse' is referring to female sheep to me (different spelling of course), and I'm no Dolly. 
I get that there are so many ways to say something; Australia in particular is full of slang and short cuts, it makes us Aussies. Some of it is historical, some is hysterical and some is horrific. We Australians all know what it means when someone says, ‘what’s your ankle biter having for its tucker? Tell him to bog in and stop his yabbering’.  We would probably not say it anymore or because many of us feel that’s best left with the cockys, bushys and some old timers but stuff like ‘yous’ instead of ‘you all’ and when someone says, ‘I seen that myself’ rather than ‘I saw’ or ‘I done that yesterday’ as an alternative of ‘I did’, is simply off beam. There’s no room for it, none.  It’s inexcusable. 
I understand nowadays that there are fairly strict societal rules about being politically correct and thank God. I know that sometimes people just don’t know what the hell to say particularly because governments upgrade language to acceptable standards so that minority groups in particular are not discriminated against, offended or that the speaker doesn’t come across sounding like a red necked imbecile. But this is incredibly misguided.  You see seen is a past participle so use it by all means, but when using it put stuff before it like ‘I have seen it’, this is an auxiliary verb and you can use have, had, was, were, am, is and so on or use saw…it’s not hard, it just isn’t. It’s past, present and future. The difference is akin with done and did. People will want to physically harm you if you say ‘I done it like that’, instead of ‘I did it like that’. Work out if it’s past or present. People will love you for it. http://www.kirstieanders.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment